Hamas maintains that it is still observing the truce and that the missile fired from Gaza was the result of a “technical error.”
A day after a truce brokered by Egypt ended five days of severe cross-border combat, the Israeli military said that a rocket had been fired from the Gaza Strip at southern Israel.
On Sunday, shortly after, explosions could be heard in northern Gaza. Controlling the besieged region is the Palestinian organization Hamas, who claimed an Israeli outpost had been attacked. However, the Israeli military did not respond right away.
On the Voice of Al-Aqsa radio station, Hamas stated that the missile fired from Gaza was the result of a “technical error” and asserted that it was still adhering to the cease-fire.
Despite a truce that began at 10pm local time (19:00 GMT) on Saturday, sirens went off soon before sunset in a number of southern Israeli communities, sending inhabitants scrambling for cover.
According to the Israeli military, a solitary rocket fired from Gaza hit an open area.
Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement in Gaza
After Cairo, which mediated the truce between Israel and the Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement in Gaza, urged all parties to abide by the deal, the onslaught resumed.
Since the bombardment began on April 1, at least 33 Palestinians, including children, have died and 147 have been injured in the beleaguered area.
One Israeli has also been killed.
The fighting resulted in damage to essential infrastructure across the Gaza Strip, the United Nations said.
Human Rights Watch’s Palestine and Israel director, Omar Shakir, warned on Saturday that a ceasefire in Gaza that preserves the status quo in the coastal enclave will be unsustainable as long as Israel’s siege and occupation persists.